THE PALACE LUCERNE – HOTEL WITH A HISTORY
In 1903 Bucher-Durrer purchased a plot of land at the end of the National Quay in Lucerne for nearly 900,000 Swiss francs – a phenomenal figure at that time. The actual construction of the PALACE LUZERN cost a further 4 million Swiss francs and the hotel opened for business on 7 May 1906.
The property offered a level of luxury and extravagance unrivalled at that time. For example, all rooms and apartments overlooking the lake and facing east had their own bathrooms.
The First World War (1914-1918) forced the closure of the PALACE LUZERN for several years, and during the Second World War (1939-1945) the hotel was used as a military hospital and also as a storage centre for essential provisions.
It reopened in 1946 after complete renovation, and hardly a year has passed since without millions being invested in modernization projects.
In 1997 the property was taken over by the VICTORIAJUNGFRAU Grand Hotel & Spa in Interlaken, the acquisition following years of close cooperation between the two luxury hotels.
Attractions at the PALACE LUZERN include its distinctive design, décor and architecture; fine facilities for banquets, meetings and seminars; and two outstanding restaurants – “Les Artistes” and the “Jasper”.
The spectacular PALACE SPA was inaugurated in 2005. The same year saw the number of rooms and suites reduced from 168 to 136 as part of a concept to create more spacious accommodation.
Over one hundred years after opening its distinguished doors, the PALACE LUZERN continues to radiate an irresistible charm. And to offer the ultimate in lifestyle luxury for rest and relaxation. The hotel has always been mindful of tradition – while moving with the times.