The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs



The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs
300 West Main Street - 24986 White Sulphur Springs
(Show map)



739 rooms
Ø 0



Opening date: 1913
General manager: Monte Hansen
Select Member of The Most Famous Hotels in the World
Check room availability at this hotel     to


History of the hotel


The Greenbrier is an award-winning resort located in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. As a National Historic landmark, The Greenbrier's classic architecture, exquisite interior design, carefully sculpted landscape, impeccable service and outstanding amenities have hosted distinguished guests from around the world since 1778.

The story of The Greenbrier begins at the spring of Sulphur water that remains at the center of the resort property. It issues forth below the green dome of the white-columned Springhouse that has been the symbol of The Greenbrier for generations. Since 1778, people have come to "take the waters" to restore their health. In its first 125 years the resort was known by the name White Sulphur Springs. The resort originally consisted of rows of cottages, many of which still stand today, including Paradise Row, Alabama Row and Baltimore Row.

In the late 1700s, the sulphur springs were discovered as a medicinal miracle and as word of their healing powers spread, more and more travelers came to the area. These visitors began building a cottage community in the early 1800s and in 1858, The Grand Central Hotel, commonly known as the Old White Hotel, was added to provide additional guest rooms and a dining room. In 1910, the C & O Railway purchased the property, including the cottages and hotel, for $150,000. That same year, construction began on the central portion of today's Greenbrier. During World War II, the property was sold to the US Army and became known as Ashford General Hospital. After the war, C & O repurchased the property and hired the renowned interior designer Dorothy Draper to completely redecorate The Greenbrier. The resort boasts over two centuries of famous guests, including 26 presidents, royalty, business leaders, politicians and celebrities. The Greenbrier's archives are maintained and displayed in the Presidents' Cottage Museum.

HISTORY IN BRIEF:

1778 - The first inn is built.
1790 - Cottages begin to be added.
1858 - A large new hotel is completed.
1880 - Major additions to The Greenbrier.
1910 - C & O Railway purchased the property, including the cottages and hotel, for $150,000. That same year, construction began on the central portion of today's Greenbrier.
1913 - The central Georgian section of The Greenbrier opened on a year-round basis
1930 - The Greenbrier is virtually rebuilt and doubled in size, an airport was built.
1940 - During World War II, the property was sold to the US Army and became known as Ashford General Hospital.
1946 - Dorothy Draper conducts a two year, complete renovation of The Greenbrier.
1948 - The new Greenbrier hotel is opened in grand style.
1960 - West Virginia Wing added, at the same time, construction of a top secret relocation center for the US Congress is being built into the mountain under the new wing.
1977 - The Greenbrier Course is redesigned by Jack Nicklaus for the 1979 Ryder Cup Matches
1980 - Renovation of Paradise Row 1987 - New Spa and Salon facility opened
1990 - Draper's Cafe and new croquet court opened
1992 - Top Secret Cold War Bunker revealed 1992 - New Gazebo constructed
1993 - Sam Snead returns as The Greenbrier's Golf Professional Emeritus
1994 - Falconry Academy, whitewater rafting and mountain biking added to activities
1994 - International Solheim Cup Matches held
1995 - The Greenbrier Bunker opened for public tours
1996 - Christmas Shop at the Depot and Carleton Varney Shop opened
1997 - The Golf Club renovated and Sam Snead's at The Golf Club and Slammin' Sammy's opened
1999 - The Meadows Course opened, (formerly The Lakeside Course) redesigned by Bob Cupp.
1999 - The Greenbrier Sam Snead Golf Academy opened. 1999 - The Greenbrier Land Rover Driving School opened.
1999 - The Greenbrier named "Resort of the Century".
1999 - The Greenbrier named the #1 Family Resort in North America
2000 - The Greenbrier announces real estate development partnership to build 400/500 residences and create The Greenbrier Sporting Club on the resort's vast holdings.
2000 - The Greenbrier named one of the Top 10 resorts in the Continental United States and Canada, as well as one of the Top 100 hotels in the world.
2001 - The Greenbrier Spa doubled in size and completely renovated.
2001 - Leadership Training Course opened.
2001 - Copeland Hill Guest Houses open as first phase of development of The Greenbrier Sporting Club.
2002 - Sporting Clays Course added to outdoor activities.
2002 - The Greenbrier named World's #1 Value Resort by readers of Travel + Leisure magazine.
2002 - The Greenbrier named one of the world's top golf resorts by readers of Conde Nast Traveler magazine.
2003 - Howard's Creek Lodge opened
2003 - Wireless environment achieved

Advertising




Homepage Help Terms and conditions Imprint
© 2014 HotelSite International - Book Hotels worldwide